The California Space Grant Consortium is pleased to announce its 2013-2014 Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP).
- Scholarships in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded to California students.
- Application Submission Period: November 15, 2013 – January 24, 2014. Continue reading
California Space Grant Consortium (CaSGC) student David Salazar was very busy in 2013. As the recipient of a CaSGC Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program Scholarship, the recent college graduate took a leadership role in an exciting scientific experiment conducted in the Mojave Desert of California. Continue reading
NASA has announced a call for graduate fellowship proposals for the NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship (NESSF) Program-2014/2015 Academic Year (proposals due 2/3/14). Individuals from accredited U.S. Universities who are pursuing Masters or Doctoral degrees in Earth and Space Sciences or related disciplines are invited to apply. The purpose of NESSF is to ensure continued training of a highly qualified workforce in disciplines needed to achieve NASA’s scientific goals. Continue reading
We are proud of our California Space Grant Summer 2013 NASA Interns:
- Eric Gutierrez, Stanford University (NASA Dryden Aeronautics Academy)
- Nathan Suppanade, CSU Los Angeles (NASA Dryden Aeronautics Academy)
- Samira Motiwala, Stanford University (NASA Ames Internship)
- Noelle Oguri, UC Davis (NASA Academy at Ames Research Center)
- Darren Sholes, Cal Poly–San Luis Obispo (NASA JPL Space Grant Internship)
- Paula S. Adhikari, University of Southern California (NASA JPL Space Grant Internship)
- Alexie Pogue, UC San Diego (NASA Ames Internship)
- Jeffrey Friesen, UC San Diego (NASA Ames Internship)
These students were able to apply classroom knowledge to exciting real-world projects, gaining experience far beyond any classroom. Through NASA internships, our students become leaders with a deeper understanding of NASA objectives and outstanding real-world aerospace expertise.
For photos and personal statements, click here.
Javier Gonzalez-Rocha was taught from a young age to value education as a means to overcoming poverty and achieving a better quality of life. From his early beginnings growing up in a farm worker family, Javier was fascinated with flight and space exploration. Continue reading
The California Space Grant Consortium is pleased to announce the fourth in a series of Undergraduate Engineering Seminars, designed to introduce undergraduate students to funded research opportunities.
- Speaker: Terrance V. Yee, President and CEO Black Sun Planetary Solutions
- When: Tuesday, November 19 from 3PM to 4PM
- Where: UC San Diego’s Jacobs Hall, Room 2512, Henry G. Booker Room Continue reading
Professor Christopher Russell, the California Space Grant Consortium’s campus director for UC Los Angeles, was invited to give a talk at the National Council of Space Grant Directors Fall Meeting in Charleston, South Carolina in October. Supported by the California Space Grant, the presentation was entitled The Dawn Discovery Mission: A Voyage in Space and Time.
Chris Russell (center) with CaSGC Director John Kosmatka and Asst. Director Tehseen Lazzouni
The California Space Grant Consortium is pleased to resume our Undergraduate Engineering Seminars, designed to introduce undergraduate students to funded research opportunities.
Upcoming Seminar will be Wednesday, October 30, 2013 from 3:00 to 4:00.
Speaker: Jeff Friesen, Ph.D Student, UC San Diego
Where: UC San Diego’s Jacobs Hall, Room 2512, Henry G. Booker Room Continue reading
The California Space Grant Consortium is pleased to announce a new solicitation:
The MESA Community College Laboratory Research Experience
With the objectives of:
- Encouraging and preparing students in associate degree programs for STEM degrees and careers
- Increasing participation of underrepresented minorities and females in STEM.
Notices of Intent (Optional and Non-Binding) Due: November 22, 2013
Proposals Due: January 17, 2014
Performance Period: March 1, 2014 through May 31, 2014
Award Amount: $10,000
Number of Awards: Up to two
Click here for the solicitation.
If you have questions please contact Tehseen Lazzouni.
IDEA Student Center Scholars
The California Space Grant Consortium and The IDEA Student Center at the University of California, San Diego joined efforts this year to award research scholarships to ten deserving IDEA Scholars. Selected students were awarded $1,000 each and were asked to create a project related to Smart Solar Farms, under the guidance of UCSD Professor Carlos Coimbra.