Applications for the 2019 Caltech Space Challenge will open on October 1, 2018.
The online application form will be available at this website starting on October 1. Please consult the application instructions below for an overview of the required application documents. The deadline to submit or edit your application is December 1, 2018. All incomplete applications after this date will be discarded. Participation in this competition does not require an entry fee. Housing, all meals, and a travel reimbursement (full or partial, depending on the funding available) will be provided for all participants. More info here.
REASONS TO APPLY
- Participate in one of the top space challenges in the world
- Work with colleagues who are finally up to your standards of excellence in science, engineering and other disciplines to tackle some of the toughest problems in space exploration today
- Learn in a unique multidisciplinary environment consisting of students, faculty members and some of the sharpest minds in industry
- Connect directly with some of the leading companies in the space industry and have your resume provided directly to them for hiring consideration
You will have to fill out an application form online. The following items will be required:
LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
Request a letter of recommendation from an advisor, supervisor or professor.
Start to ask early!
You will have to type his/her email address in the online form.
LETTER OF MOTIVATION (3000 CHARACTERS – 1 PAGE, MAXIMUM)
Explain the following:
- Why are you interested in the Caltech Space Challenge?
- How will participation benefit you?
- What technical skills would you bring to your team?
- What leadership and group project experience would you bring to your team?
- Given your background, what aspect of mission design are you most interested in?
- For art and design applicants, please include some space related artwork
Full-time undergraduate and graduate students during the 2018-19 academic year from any nationality are eligible to apply.
Since a mission design involves a highly multidisciplinary work force, students from any discipline may apply. Disciplines include (but are not limited to):
- Aerospace/Aeronautics/Space Systems
- Geology and Planetary Sciences
- Physics/Applied Physics
- Chemistry/Chemical Engineering
- Applied Math
- Business/Project Management
- Computer Science/Software/Animations
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Graphic Design/Graphic Arts
- Material Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Space Policy