The California Space Grant is pleased to provide an opportunity for two California students studying Aero/Astro to intern for 10 days at Kennedy Space Center next January. During this time they will shadow NASA engineers to learn about their research, the new post-space shuttle environment, and the systems engineering approach at NASA. All expenses will be covered by the California Space Grant.
DESCRIPTION OF OPPORTUNITY:
The California Space Grant Consortium, Massachusetts Space Grant Consortium, and NASA are sponsoring a “January Operational Internship” (JOI 2014), in which a group of aerospace engineering students will spend 10 days at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in January 2014.
The goal is to introduce students to:
- The design and operational aspects of space flight
- The systems engineering approach at NASA
Understanding the relationship of design and operations is critical for the successful practice of engineering and is a core part of the Aeronautics and Astronautics CDIO (Conceive, Design, Implement, Operate) curriculum.
- Student must be a U.S. Citizen (Permanent Residents not eligible)
- Student must have a 3.5 GPA and above
- Student must be a university Junior, Senior, or Graduate Student
- Student must an engineering student studying Aero/Astro
- Web conference attendance at a meeting in early December
- Attendance at introductory and safety briefings at KSC
- Shadowing and interviewing NASA and Contractor engineers at KSC to learn about the programs they are working on and get the engineers’ perspectives on changes in the post-shuttle environment
- Student must deliver a group presentation to KSC leadership
DATES OF PROGRAM: January 22 to January 31, 2014 (Travel dates January 21 and any time after 3PM on January 31). If the dates of this program overlap with student’s quarter or semester, student may need to be prepared to miss classes. Graduate students who have already completed their coursework will not have this problem and are highly encouraged to apply.
STIPEND: Paid by California Space Grant Consortium to cover costs only
HOW TO APPLY: On or before November 10, 2013, email the following information to Tehseen Lazzouni:
- Unofficial transcript (official transcript to be sent after student is selected)
- Personal statement highlighting past project experiences and career interests (1 page max.)
QUESTIONS: Can be addressed to Tehseen Lazzouni.